The Class of 1972 Endowed Mentorship Fund

Ayala-Martinez with student
Monica Ayala-Martinez, associate professor of Spanish, talking through a student research project.

Our Class’s Legacy

To commemorate our 50th reunion, your 50th Reunion Committee has established the Class of 1972 Endowed Mentorship Fund. 

We created this mentorship endowment because we believe that one of the hallmarks of Denison in our era, which continues through today, is the extraordinary mentorship provided to students by faculty, staff, and, indeed, other students. This fund will help support that Denison tradition by providing income for the College in perpetuity that will be unrestricted and used at the discretion of the sitting President to foster, promote, encourage, and incentivize mentorship campus-wide.

While many previous 50th Reunion classes at Denison created endowed funds for various purposes, most waited until their reunion to reach the College’s endowment threshold ($100,000). Our class – always doing things our own way – has already secured more than $130,000 in early gifts to the fund! That means that we’re a year ahead of many of our peer classes and that our fund will begin supporting the College while we’re still raising money towards our class gift.

Honoring your Mentors

As you likely already know, any gift in any amount counts towards our Class of 1972 Class Gift, whether you contribute to the Class of 1972 Endowed Mentorship Fund, or the Annual Fund, or any other department or program at Denison. As part of our class’s focus on mentorship, your committee has developed a special way for you to recognize and honor your Denison mentors – maybe a faculty member, an administrator or coach, or maybe even a fellow student  – through your giving.

When you make a gift in one of the amounts below between now and our reunion in June 2022, you’ll have the opportunity to name a mentor or mentors according to the size of your gift. Make your gift online today here and simply select your amount and then indicate your mentor(s) in the appropriate field in that secure form.

• A gift of any amount – One mentor
  • A gift of $1,000 or more – Two mentors
  • A gift of $1,972 or more – Three mentors
  • A pledge of $19,720 or more over five years* – Five mentors

Denison will gather the names of our mentors from this form and we’ll have a chance to recognize them at our reunion in June. Denison will also provide more permanent recognition for these important Denisonians – more to come on that soon!

With gratitude,

Your Class of 1972 50th Reunion Legacy Committee

*Denison’s webpage is currently not able to accept multi-year pledges. To complete a multi-year pledge, simply visit this page and utilize the form there, or contact Denison staff member Ed Cable for details.